Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Deciding Between Taking Care of Yourself or Working

• Larry

October 26, 2021 at 2:39 pm

I used to want to work but not anymore. Fortunately I have the resources to not have to work. I spend time taking care of my body. I also spend my days pursuing personal enrichment through my hobbies. I don’t worry myself that I’m not making much of a contribution through working.

• Leah Leilani

October 26, 2021 at 4:07 pm

Larry, may I ask what made you change your mind about working? I think people should spend more time doing what they love. Having free time for hobbies that make us happy is important for our mental health too. I love drawing and feel the most happy and at peace when I’m deep in my zone working on a piece.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

October 27, 2021 at 5:10 pm

I know that specific jobs have caused me stress which has, in turn, caused my muscles to become weaker. Also, if I get sick (like when I worked one-on-one with the public), my muscles weaken. So yes, in that case, not working has been better for me healthwise, but no, I don’t feel like I contribute to society by not doing anything.