• Difficulties with clothing

Posted by Leah Leilani on May 24, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Are there any clothing options you try to avoid because they would be difficult for your caregiver to dress you in? Do you wish there were more stylish and adaptive clothing options available? Would you like to be able to wear pantyhose or skinny jeans but don’t want to put that kind of strain on your caregiver? Do you ever feel like you have to settle for clothes because the clothes you want are to difficult to take on and off? Are your hands weak and unable to button up or zip up clothing?

Ralph Yaniz replied 4 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Ralph Yaniz

May 28, 2019 at 7:18 am

The biggest issue I deal with is making sure that I have pants that are baggy enough in the legs to allow me to pull up and slide back down my leg braces. So anything with tight legs is out. I do have some trouble with buttons on shirts but I can still get them done ok. Shoes – I basically only where gym shoes.

• Leah Leilani

May 28, 2019 at 12:51 pm

I guess skinny jeans would not be a staple item in your wardrobe. I wonder what people my age do about this problem. Can leg braces be worn over clothing? Would denim leggings be better since they’re a thinner material?

• Ralph Yaniz

May 28, 2019 at 1:29 pm

I have absolutely seen leg braces worn outside of jeans or pants and some of them look kind of cool. I think the makers of leg braces have to think about all of this, how people wear them inside and outside of clothing. I think we can make a real fashion statement if we wanted!