• tracy-barhite

February 26, 2019 at 5:28 pm

I have done some research on service dog’s .  Most agencies have a long wait time and approval process,  anywhere from 1 to 3 year’s.   Most also will not let you have another pet in the home.   I didn’t have that kind of time to wait for a service dog.  My doctor has told me since my diagnosis that I need to keep moving, walking as much as possible, so I opted for a dog that has had obedience training.  I found my dog in an animal shelter, she walks with me and doesn’t pull.  When the time comes for me to get a power chair I will get her some training to adapt to walking next to the power chair.   So far this has worked for me.

• leah-leilani

February 27, 2019 at 11:05 pm

Tracy, what’s your dogs name and breed? One thing that deters me from getting a service dog is the fact that most of the service dog breeds have dander. Andre’s breed is hypoallergenic so his hair doesn’t affect my allergies.

I don’t think it’ll be too hard to get your dog acquainted to a power wheelchair. When I first got Andre is was still in a Manuel chair and used it only outside of the house. Andre had no problem adapting to the power chair and using it in my house.

• gord-wallen

March 5, 2019 at 12:38 pm

I’ve had a service dog for over 15 years (two). My current dog is a black lab (Visa) trained by Dog Guides Canada and provided free of charge. I received my first service dog (Halle a golden retriever) when I was still walking. It was very helpful at picking up dropped items and barking for help if I fell. As I transitioned to a wheelchair she was still helpful at opening doors. The hidden benefit of a service dog is that they get you out into the community and open up conversation. Instead of the guy in the wheelchair, I’m the guy with a service dog!

• danielle-dani-liptak

March 5, 2019 at 2:42 pm

That would be so helpful to have a dog to pick up items I have dropped. I have been trying to find a retractable or folding claw to help me pick up things that I drop when I’m outside of my home, that is not bulky and can fit in my wheelchair or bag.

Inside the home I have claws/grabbers in a couple rooms. The only things is when the grabber falls on the floor I can’t get it back up lol

• danielle-dani-liptak

March 18, 2019 at 7:33 am

Gord, do you mind if people come up to pet your service dog? Do you have something on it saying “service dog” “do not pet”?

Personally, I think service dogs should be off limits unless specifically stated by the owner, even then I feel uncomfortable because they are doing a job and should not be distracted. They are so important that they should be seen as more than just a dog. (That might be a little much for some). I think if someone is allowed to pet a service dog then they might assume they can go up to any service animal, which could be really bad for the owner if that dog gets distracted. Have you had any issues? Some people can get very upset if you tell them no!