Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Our columnist, Ralph Yaniz celebrates one year of writing for Muscular Dystrophy News with an article all about his health setback and progression of Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy along with his hunt for the right wheelchair to suit his needs.

If you enjoy reading this article, please make sure to give it a couple stars.

When did you first realize you needed a wheelchair? What was your first wheelchair like?

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

I’ve already alerted Leah I’m definitely a columnist but not a communist haha. Hope you all can read column. Would love feedback, as always.

Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

So sorry for that typo Ralph 😅

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

Haha 💫

Pete Barron
      Participant

I’m responding to the “first wheelchair” question. Having adult onset (MD type 2) I didn’t know what to expect. It’s such a rare disease and the symptoms in two different people even getting the disease from the same source, (like my siblings), are extremely varied. I first realized I needed something to get longer distances than I could any longer walk without risking falling. So I bought one of those cheap electric two wheeled scooters. After a while I got to where I couldn’t balance and was always dragging my feet. So I next got a Segway with a seat (not the i-pod). It was fun and fast, but not very safe because it moves to stay under your center of gravity. So whenever I would sneeze or have a hand spasm it would jump to stay under me and got me off the sidewalk and into trouble a lot. Finally after that I fell into a power chair and never looked back! It took me so long to admit that that was what I needed, but it makes going places pleasurable and safe and easy! Why does it take so long for us to admit that?

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like things are going very well for you with your latest choice. I think what you mention is key, we are all different. For me, I am still able to go out and walk, using my hiking poles, and maybe walk up to a mile depending on the terrain. I hope this chair I just purchased works for me for a few years. I will probably use it at special events at public venues or where I can’t find appropriate seating. And what I learned in Arizona is that it is great in a museum where I can take my time going through the exhibits. But there is no doubt that in the future I will look at upgrades and your information is great for me and many others. Thank you!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account