Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Celebrating Ralph Yaniz’s one year with MD News

• Ralph Yaniz

March 14, 2020 at 7:00 am

I’ve already alerted Leah I’m definitely a columnist but not a communist haha. Hope you all can read column. Would love feedback, as always.

• Leah Leilani

March 17, 2020 at 3:51 pm

So sorry for that typo Ralph 😅

• Ralph Yaniz

March 17, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Haha 💫

• Pete Barron

March 21, 2020 at 10:29 am

I’m responding to the “first wheelchair” question. Having adult onset (MD type 2) I didn’t know what to expect. It’s such a rare disease and the symptoms in two different people even getting the disease from the same source, (like my siblings), are extremely varied. I first realized I needed something to get longer distances than I could any longer walk without risking falling. So I bought one of those cheap electric two wheeled scooters. After a while I got to where I couldn’t balance and was always dragging my feet. So I next got a Segway with a seat (not the i-pod). It was fun and fast, but not very safe because it moves to stay under your center of gravity. So whenever I would sneeze or have a hand spasm it would jump to stay under me and got me off the sidewalk and into trouble a lot. Finally after that I fell into a power chair and never looked back! It took me so long to admit that that was what I needed, but it makes going places pleasurable and safe and easy! Why does it take so long for us to admit that?

• Ralph Yaniz

March 21, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like things are going very well for you with your latest choice. I think what you mention is key, we are all different. For me, I am still able to go out and walk, using my hiking poles, and maybe walk up to a mile depending on the terrain. I hope this chair I just purchased works for me for a few years. I will probably use it at special events at public venues or where I can’t find appropriate seating. And what I learned in Arizona is that it is great in a museum where I can take my time going through the exhibits. But there is no doubt that in the future I will look at upgrades and your information is great for me and many others. Thank you!