Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Parents and Caregivers First Time Having A Stranger Give You A Shower

• connie

December 14, 2019 at 10:54 am

Thank you for this!  I need to get the small bath remodeled and I will be looking into getting help.

• kimberly-reynolds

December 17, 2019 at 10:45 am

I still shower myself but last week was like Christmas early. I had a ramp installed from the house to our attached garage and hand rails in the shower. I feel like I don’t have a disability again. I will eventually need more help but get what you need right away when you need it and it keeps you from feeling as helpless. Next I’ll add a seat in the shower and eventually I’ll need someone to help me get in but a shower head with a longer than normal hose will keep me showering myself longer! I can only use the expense as a tax deduction along with other medical expenses. I earned too much for low income assistance and insurance didn’t cover it.

• philip

December 17, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Hi Dani

I now accept that I can’t manage without help and in January will have a f/t PA/carer (I hope).  So will then have my first experience of being helped with showering – and toileting, getting dressed etc.

I’m not looking forward to another ‘step’ in the journey of lost Independence.  I will have to pay for the care which is a worry as it will burn up our savings and I’m concerned that my wife will be left with little for her needs in the future.

I’m sure I will adapt to being showered but it will feel weird to begin with.  The positive is that all the personal care should consume less of my energy which I can then harness for more interesting pursuits

• leah-leilani

December 20, 2019 at 3:25 pm

It can definitely be an awkward thing at first. My mom used to always be the one to help wash my hair but now that she has MD my dad helps me while I’m in the bath. I am still able to scrub myself for the most part. My dads scrubs my limbs, washes my hair, helps me take off my clothes and put on a new outfit. It took a while to teach him how to do these tasks properly and still forgets certain steps but I think that just happens when you depend on someone else.

• philip

December 22, 2019 at 8:01 am

Leah thanks for sharing your experience.   I’m sorry to hear your mom has MD now.  Bless your dad for stepping in and adapting to help you.  All best wishes Leah to you and your loved ones for the Christmas holidays and 2020

• leah-leilani

January 6, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Thank you Philip for your kind words. It is definitely a struggle for my mom and family now that she has MD but somehow we manage to make it work. I hope you and your family has a wonderful holiday as well and a happy New Year!

• philip

January 7, 2020 at 7:11 am

Thanks Leah. Isn’t it amazing how somehow we work out how to manage in challenging circumstances?! For me that determination is driven by willpower to keep living as fully as possible.  It is harder for you with both your mum and you needing help when ideally you would be helping each other. Best wishes Leah

• rameshan

January 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm

Hi Dani

I know it would be really awkward to take the help from a strange for such a private thing.

So i want to put you at ease with a joke. Hope it’s not a man!😜😝

Regards

RAMESH

• travis

March 9, 2020 at 6:39 pm

It’s still a bit strange having help with a shower, especially from a girl who’s like 6 years younger. I get certain thoughts just like any man would I guess. It’s less awkward that before. But I have to remind myself,”It’s just her job, nothing more.” But not just any guy gets to be showered by a girl. haha 😅