Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Tips, Tricks, and Advice Difficulty eating, cutting food, ordering out

• Difficulty eating, cutting food, ordering out

Posted by danielle-dani-liptak on March 19, 2019 at 6:44 am

When you are going out to eat do you make any special requests for your food or the plates they are brought out on or do you avoid certain meals? I have had the hardest time with cutting things like salads, steaks, etc., as I have difficulty raising my arms and gripping. I am also shy when it comes to special requests, but I have tried to speak up a little more.

If I order a salad I have asked them to cut up the lettuce more, or if it’s a BIG salad (Seinfeld reference), I asked for a second small plate that I put some food on, and I can bring closer to my mouth.  I try to avoid dropping too much food on the floor but sometimes my wheelchair doesn’t get close enough to the table and I am left with this gap between me and the table. I have lost some pretty delicious bites to the floor because the distance from table to mouth was too great and my arms were a little wobbly.  I should ask to have my steak sliced before it is brought out too.

What tips or tricks do you have, if cutting or bringing food up to your mouth smoothly is difficult? Do you have preference of how your food is cut, or are you shy like me and just struggle. What are your favorite meals to eat out? Do you make special requests? Do you not worry and eat however and whatever you want?

danielle-dani-liptak replied 5 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.