Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Parents and Caregivers Family Vacations: Positives and Negatives

• Family Vacations: Positives and Negatives

Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on March 7, 2019 at 4:34 pm

When was your last vacation either as a family or by yourself? Has the diagnoses in your family affected this? 

My favorite family vacation was to Playa del Carmen Mexico. My parents rented a power scooter for me and I brought my walker as well. The condo/resort were we stayed went above and beyond to accommodate me. They stacked two mattress on my bed so that it would be easier for me to get out of bed. (I can’t get up from low beds, etc.) They added temporary grab bars in the places I requested, and the beaches were already accommodated with plenty of beach wheelchairs! We always ask for whatever comes to mind because the answer is either “yes” or “no” . I was really impressed with traveling outside the US and feeling like an effort had been made to include me when it came to travel/vacation.

I understand that not everyone can afford to take time off for a vacation, disability is very expensive. Also, not everyone has the best experience when it comes to family vacations, things can go wrong and bad incidents happen. Will you share your experience of where you traveled to and if you had to make any accommodations? Please feel free to add anything additional that might help parents or caregivers on these trips. 

Danielle "Dani" Liptak replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.