Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MD Surgery in the time of COVID-19

• Surgery in the time of COVID-19

Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on December 16, 2020 at 3:59 pm

A little over one week ago, I had major surgery for gastrointestinal issues. The recovery has been challenging, and I was in the hospital for close to a week. I was very impressed with the COVID restriction in the hospital. It was lonely not having any visitors, and I was so weak from the surgery that I couldn’t enjoy much of anything. I have been home a week, and my recovery is still difficult. I have to reintroduce food into my diet slowly. Right now, I am on a full liquid diet, and I really miss chewing food. I have barely been eating anything, and this has made me weak and irritable.

Have you needed surgery during COVID? Were you worried about catching the virus? How was your hospital? Dis you have many visitors, or how did you entertain yourself?

Pete Barron replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Leah Leilani

December 18, 2020 at 3:57 pm

So sorry to hear that recovery has been difficult Dani. I heard that you were having surgery last minute and didn’t know what it was for. I know a bit about what you’re going through. Digesting foods are my gallbladder removal last year was tough. I know you’ll get through this because your a tough cookie!

• Pete Barron

December 19, 2020 at 10:49 am

Dani, sorry to hear about your surgery. Although we should be glad because the surgery is supposed to help? Anyway, we all know digestive issues are the pits and what most folks who have them say is the worst part of their condition, myself included. But, as Leah said, we know you’ll get through this and return to your “normal” life! Stay positive and focus on what you can do rather then bemoan what you can’t.