• Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on January 18, 2021 at 4:28 pm

When I sleep, I wake up with my arms numb. Sometimes I think it is the position I sleep in, and other times I think it is because my weak muscles can’t hold themselves in the correct position. I have tried wedging pillows around me to try and prop myself up, but I find it difficult to move around with them.

How do you sleep so that your limbs don’t go numb? Do you use anything special to prevent numbness? Do you work with someone who can help you position yourself better?

Emily Carfagna (wife) replied 1 year, 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joannie Fortier

March 23, 2023 at 4:46 pm

Hi,

I think I have the same problem. Still haven’t found how to correct that.

Besides, how do you it is related to muscular dystrophy? Is there a way to know?

Best regards

• Kimberly Reynolds

March 24, 2023 at 2:49 pm

I have recently had more problems with my arms falling asleep. Due to an operation, I’ve had to sleep on my back all night. I use small firms pillows under each arm, with my hands lower on my belly than my upper arms. It should be comfortable, so move arms around to find your best fit. It doesn’t help all the time. I tend to have my arms fall asleep more if I carry or lift too heavy of items ( under 5 pounds and close to body is my limit), or doing repetitive hand movements such as playing an online game on my phone for over 20 minutes.

• Ron Forth

March 24, 2023 at 3:55 pm

I’ve had that problem. The best help I found was investing in a “sleep number” bed. I have one that rises and tilts. Raising the back helps me from sleeping on my arms, as that can cause the numbness. 

• Emily Carfagna (wife)

March 24, 2023 at 4:07 pm

Yes, my husband complains of the same thing every night. When I turn him over on his right side, his arm and sometimes even both legs fall asleep.  We have his legs chocked with a pillow. It helps but not completely.
    But both of us complain about our hands falling asleep while holding the iphone too long when watching a movie.
    I don’t have md but when I fall asleep on my back, my back falls asleep!
    I think it just has a lot to do with keeping the motion going. My husband wakes me up to turn him over during the night when he can’t take it anymore.
    He’s definitely more sensitive to it because he can’t move around at all on his own. God bless all of you!