• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

“Not seeing myself as disabled has been an interesting way for me to cope with Duchenne. I’m less focused inwardly on what I can’t do because of my disability, and more outward-facing, understanding the abilities I do have and making use of them.”

Viewing himself as separate from Duchenne MD helps Hawken remember who he is and the things he’s capable of. Read more about why Hawken doesn’t identify as disabled in his newest article.

Do you identify as someone who is disabled or not? Is there perhaps a different term that you use to describe yourself that suits you better?

Denis
      Participant

Hi Leah,
      I must say the first time I heard of Duchenne MD was when Jerry Lewis started campaigning for research into MD.I was taken aback with the severity of the disease and at such a young age .Having MD1 is easyier so to speak compared to Duchenne.I always struggled with the idea that I was disabled.So I tried to forget about it and value my independence more and more ,not giving in to it,going my own way even being stubborn.i admire your courage and strength

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account