Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Advocacy Work Book Recommendation: Disability Essay Anthology

• Book Recommendation: Disability Essay Anthology

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 4, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a safe and relaxing weekend.

I wanted to share this book with you all. This is a collection of essays from the New York Times disability series. The book’s contributors include people living with quadriplegia, chronic illnesses, blindness, and more. The idea is to give people with a plethora of visible and invisible disabilities a platform to share their stories. You can also find the archives from this series here.

I’ve read a number of these essays before, and they’re fascinating. Topics range from disability rights to navigating the world of online dating with a disability.

Here’s an excerpt from the synopsis on Amazon: “Reflecting on the fraught conversations around disability―from the friend who says “I don’t think of you as disabled,” to the father who scolds his child with attention differences, “Stop it stop it stop it what is wrong with you?”―the stories here reveal the range of responses, and the variety of consequences, to being labeled as “disabled” by the broader public.”

I’d love to hear if any of you have read this book, or any of the essays from it. It’s great to see this kind of media representation.

Has anyone here read this book? Do you have any favorite essays from it?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ralph

May 4, 2020 at 10:32 am

I was not aware of this book but I’ll be delving into it. Sounds like great stuff.

• kevin-schaefer

Administrator
    May 4, 2020 at 10:38 am

You’ll really like it! Some great essays in it.