Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Car Crashes in a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle

• Car Crashes in a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle

Posted by Leah Leilani on October 18, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Just last week, my mom was violently t-boned while driving my dog to the vet. Thankfully, our van has a rear entry ramp and wasn’t affected by the crash but we are still without our wheelchair-accessible car as it gets repaired.

Our car dealership did have one available wheelchair-accessible vehicle but it is nowhere near as convenient as our van. For one, the ramp is not mechanical and there is no EZ lock mechanism so my parents have to manually tie me down. My parents are not as agile as they once were and this is quite taxing for them.

The dealership is only allowing us to rent the van for one week so we’ll be without transportation until our car is ready to be driven again.

Have you ever been in a car accident in your wheelchair-accessible van? Did you get a rental or call a wheelchair-accessible cab while your car was being repaired?

Leah Leilani replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Loading…

October 19, 2022 at 11:21 pm

I’m not worried about the van, things can be replaced, loved ones can’t.  How’s your mom and doggie doing?

Hopefully they’re happy and healthy!

• Leah Leilani

October 27, 2022 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for your concern. It means a lot. Fortunately, both my mom and dog came out fine and we now have our car back.