Cost of Living with MD
What is the actual cost of living with something like muscular dystrophy? Each person experiences MD differently, and the prices can differ as well.
Here are some examples of the “Cost” of living with muscular dystrophy:
- Unreimbursed medical expenses (not paid for by health insurance). These include co-pays, nonprescription medications, etc.
- Living expenses that someone without MD would not have to pay. For instance, this could be costs to install a ramp, safety bars, or convert a van to accommodate a wheelchair.
- Extra costs or reduced opportunities regarding school and work.
- Unpaid caregiving help from family members.
- Other expenses and costs to patients with MD and their families.
What are some other “costs” that you would include?
I have attached an article by our columnist Hawken Miller. Give it a read, tell us your thoughts, or add more in the comments. Hawken Miller: Economic Burden Article
Log in to reply.