• Barry Glaberman

March 21, 2019 at 11:36 am

I let my resume speak for itself. I did not mention any disability in my letter of intent either. I  just showed up for my interview with my adaptive equipment for my interview. I focused on my abilities and strengths. There were questions about my disability, however, I tried to refocus on the job at hand. If I needed reasonable accommodations, I would discuss it with them, noting that I could perform the issential functions of the job. Not every employer is keen on this idea and expect rejection. It is hard to prove that they are not offering you a job because of any disability. I was in the work force from the time I was 15 until I finally had to medically retire in 2017.

• Barry Glaberman

March 21, 2019 at 8:01 pm

I no longer work because of the MD as well as several other illnesses. My last job was a manager of a hotel. I have worked in retail, wholesale, entrepreneur, janitor, technician, DJ, and delivery. It is important to discuss your illnesses face to face allowing a potential employer to see your capabilities.

Talking about your disability is a personal preference. Sometimes it may be okay and other times it is MYOB. Much of the time it depends on the work environment.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

March 25, 2019 at 8:34 am

During the pre-employment process, like a job interview, it is illegal for an employer to ask you if you are disabled or ask about the nature or severity of your disability. An employer can ask if you can perform the duties of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Obviously if you roll up in a wheelchair they can figure out that you are disabled, but you do still have rights, which I think is good, I like how you refocused back to your resume and skills when they tried to inquire about disability.

You have had a wide range of jobs! That is great! Were you at different stages of disability during these jobs? Were the more physical ones that you did with accommodations?