Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

What does disability etiquette mean to you and how do you wish people interacted with you? In your opinion, what are the most important aspects of interacting with a person with disabilities that people should be educated on.

I am a person that is generally fine with questions as long as they’re asked in a respectful manner. I hate it when I’m asked “What’s wrong with you” rather then “What’s your diagnosis.” “What’s wrong with you” implies that I need fixing and am broken.

Pete Barron
      Participant

I like to respond to the “What’s wrong with you?” question by responding: “Nothing! What’s wrong with you?” Then they get to feel how that question feels and if they are not too put off they rephrase the question.

Pete Barron
      Participant

I like being a nice guy too, but when somebody is rude to me I try to send it back! They can’t complain that I’m rude when they said the same to me. Most people kind of “guffa” and then rephrase it and I will explain. I like the opportunity to educate people, I see that as part of our job.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account