• Doctors That Provide Irrelevant Advice

Posted by Leah Leilani on December 1, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Have you ever been told that your symptoms or medical conditions caused by MD are due to stress?

I went to see a a Gastroenterologist for the  first time yesterday. I’m always wary of seeing new doctors because I know there’s a strong possibility they won’t understand my condition. Although the doctor gave me some good advice, he also told me that my gastric issues are stress induced and could be prevented  if I exercised and meditated more.

Would you choose a different doctor in my situation?

Leah Leilani replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • John Woods

December 4, 2020 at 2:40 pm

like being confined to a wheelchair and being told by your PCP to “get more exercise”

• Leah Leilani

December 18, 2020 at 4:05 pm

I recently had a doctor tell me that too. I mean, I appreciate that they think I’m not “wheelchair bound” but exercise is a big leap (no pun intended).

• Karl Evans

January 8, 2021 at 4:57 pm

Yeah, that is pretty ordinary, I guess. I have Fukutin, as well as a bunch of other genetic stuff. I have to go to a health system which has very few doctors with any experience. When I see a 16 year old eighth grade grad posing as a MD, I shiver inside. After all, when there are only a few of us in the world, it is pretty unlikely he or she will ever meet another patient with Fukutin and Gelsolin and leukemia and anemia and hypoparathyroidism and all this other stuff.  So I try to do everything I can to not rely too much on the docs. I trust OMIM and HPO and the rest of NIH.

• Leah Leilani

January 12, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Karl, good doctors are definitely not easy to come by. Sometimes all you can do is trust your own instincts and how your body feels. After all, you know your body best.