Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Exercise and physical therapy during lockdown

• Pete Barron

June 7, 2020 at 6:19 pm

For me, swimming has been my go to exercize for 20 years. It has been the only thing I can do that actually helps with my muscular dystrophy. Everything tells me that low resistance, high repeats is what we’re after (which fits swimming to a “T”). Unfortunately now pools are all closed so I have to figure out replacements. I have a recumbent trike with 21 speeds, so if I contnually downshift to keep it in the lowest resisistance mode and stay on the flat, it gives me a good workout without getting me too sore. I’ve recently added in laps around my flat yard in a manual chair for arm and back strength. I can’t wait to get back in the pool though whenever that becomes available!

• Leah Leilani

June 10, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Pete, a lot of us, including myself, have lost muscle due to the disruption of our daily routines and gyms as well as pools closing. Kudos to you for finding ways to keep your body healthy and functioning.