• Getting your clothing altered

Posted by leah-leilani on August 2, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Do you ever get your clothes altered to fit you better? Are there any local alterations places near you that you would recommend?

Because I’m so short, a lot of my pants have been shortened by a professional. I’ve also had the crotch dropped on a few pairs of shorts in order to be more comfortable while sitting in my wheelchair. Alterations can help a lot to make clothes fit you better and in turn, make you feel better. If it’s a garment you know you’ll get a lot of use out of, the cost is worth it.

cynthia-mayeshiro replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • cynthia-mayeshiro

August 2, 2019 at 4:57 pm

I had a “lightning bulb” moment several years ago regarding the clothing alteration issue while watching a TV show about a family of little people. The wife/mom on the show was sharing a memory about her mom who had made it a priority to have her young daughters’ clothing altered so she would feel better about herself, using the logic that just because her young daughter was only 3’6″ she still deserved to have clothing that fit her body and clothing that fit in with the other kids at school. Yes, it does cost money. Yes, I can easily talk my way out of it. And yes, I feel better knowing my daughter feels so good in her clothing. My daughter is 4’8″ and uses a wheel chair. Hopefully another mom out there will find inspiration as I did with this little story.