• Andrew Brinks

June 29, 2020 at 3:12 pm

I had never heard it called that before but I’ve absolutely rationed my water intake during camping trips to avoid falling while getting in and out of my hammock in the middle of the night. Airplanes are the other place where I am extremely conscious of my water intake and output.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

June 29, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Oh, wow! I can’t remember the last time I was in a hammock! I miss it, such a relaxing activity. When you camp, do you bring your own water or do you have something that filters it?

• Karl Evans

July 8, 2020 at 11:17 am

I use pee math every day, but for a slightly different reason. First, I have Fukatin Limb Girdle MD, with RyR2 and AGel (GSN) The three of them plus perhaps a couple more have a huge impact on the way the body handles liver-produced protein. The pieces die and become fibrils after a couple hours after creation. Most of them get filtered into the urine by the kidneys, then pass into the bladder, then out. Now the math part. When I pee into the toilet water,  the dead proteins create a foamy mass in and on the water. Sometimes that foam is one (1) centimetre deep. Sometimes 2, but for me, most of the time that foam is 3 centimetres deep across the water in the toilet bowl.  The limit for healthy passage of this protein is 0.5 grams per 24 hours. That would make the output less than 0.5. When the foam is 3 cm deep, that means I am putting out around 3 grams of protein every 24 hours, way too much. My kidneys are dying, but the nephrologist says that is true, but I am 80 years old, so what does it matter? But this is my Pee math.

• Andrew Brinks

July 8, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Hammocks are the best for a lot of reasons. From an accessibility standpoint, I really like that my “bed” is at a convenient height to get into and out of. For the water it depends on the campground really. My favorite one has a manual pump to pull water fresh, very cold water from the ground. I’ve got several of those Life Straws but I have never used one.