Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

For as long as I could remember I have always had high blood pressure. I was always told the ideal number is 120/80 but learned that 140/90 although at the higher end is not too bad. I read in a magazine while in the doctors office that systolic blood pressure (the top number or highest blood pressure when the heart is squeezing and pushing the blood round the body) is more important than diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number or lowest blood pressure between heart beats) because it gives the best idea of your risk of having a stroke or heart attack.

Do you have high blood pressure? Do you take medicine for it? Have you tried exercising or modifying your diet? Could your muscular dystrophy cause your high blood pressure?

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

I do take meds for high BP. In fact those are the only medications I take. Don’t think it’s related to MD but I know in that before I started meds it seemed to make my MD worse. Probably restricting good blood flow to muscles. Important to keep your BP in a good place. Mine now on meds can be as low as 100/60.

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

At first I actually felt a bit light headed but as I got used to it I felt better.  I think it improve my circulation and made me feel better and I hope slowed down my muscle loss with better blood supply.  I was also actually thinking what you mention that maybe at some point I can get off blood pressure medicine. As I eat better and lose weight that may happen. I have already seen drastic declines in things like cholesterol and triglycerides and at this point taking medicine for cholesterol isn’t even an issue. So let’s hope one day I can be completely medication free!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account