Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MD Hospitals and Their Protocols to Protect Their Patients Amidst the Coronavirus Pandemic

• Hospitals and Their Protocols to Protect Their Patients Amidst the Coronavirus Pandemic

Posted by Leah Leilani on August 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Have you been admitted to, visited or had a doctors appointment at a hospital since the pandemic began? How did it make you feel to enter a hospital amidst the Coronavirus pandemic? Do you believe your hospital handled the situation properly in order to protect its patients?

I’ve been to several doctors offices in the last several months and I’ve come to realize that some doctors offices/ hospitals have similar yet different ways of prioritizing the safety of the patients. Some offices with larger waiting rooms are more strategic about their seating and make sure to distance their patients, while others with smaller waiting areas get crowded fast with little room to spare to social distance. Elevators are another big issue. Some hospitals may mark places for people to stand and only allow a certain number of people on one elevator but these guidelines can be easily disregarded. We all know that hospitals and it’s employees are doing their best to protect everyone and that their jobs are overwhelming at the present time but can their protocols be improved?

Leah Leilani replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Pete Barron

August 15, 2020 at 1:32 pm

I had to go to the emergency room at the end of March for some severe gastric problems. They wouldn’t let my service dog or my wife even through the door. The procedure took several hours and I was unable to call anyone to let them know until they discharged me. I understand this was early in the pandemic, but communication was totally absent, which just made the stress worse.

• Leah Leilani

August 17, 2020 at 4:44 pm

I completely understand your wife not being allowed to be by your side but your dog? Dog’s can’t catch Coronavirus not to mention he’s a service dog and denying you your dog is illegal. I’m so sorry you experienced this, Pete. Ableism has been such a huge issue with healthcare during this whole thing and you’re not the only victim unfortunately.