Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy How Does Privilege Apply to Diagnosis and Treatment?

• How Does Privilege Apply to Diagnosis and Treatment?

Posted by leah-leilani on October 24, 2022 at 4:00 pm

When the conversation about privilege opened up a few years ago I started to look at my life from a different perspective. Privilege doesn’t just involve wealth but it can also pertain to race, support systems, and disability.

I heard one woman on TikTok today bring up the topic of privilege and diagnosis. It is a privilege to have a proper diagnosis and, on top of that, to have access to treatment. A lot of chronic illnesses are brushed off by doctors or not taken seriously resulting in an arduous diagnosis process. Not to mention that better and more knowledgeable doctors may be out of reach for some because of inaccessible travel and medical expenses.

As someone with a rare diagnosis, I have learned that the rarer a disease is there is also less a chance that there is a treatment available. Even if there is a treatment, it may not be feasible for some people to take it because of adverse side effects.

What comes to your mind when you think of the word privilege and how it applies to your life?

leah-leilani replied 1 year, 5 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.