Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Inclusive Assistance in Public For Both the Elderly and Disabled

• Inclusive Assistance in Public For Both the Elderly and Disabled

Posted by Leah Leilani on February 10, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Do you find that people are generally more willing to help the elderly rather than the disabled?

I was at the thrift store yesterday and I had dropped a piece of clothing that I had been carrying. A girl passed right by me as I was struggling to pick it up from the floor while sitting in my wheelchair. While checking out with difficulty at the self-checkout, I saw her readily offer to help out an elderly woman who was very able-bodied.

I am conflicted because I’m glad she had the decency to help out that woman but I would’ve appreciated some assistance too. I did however ask an employee to help me with my items and was very grateful to him.

Has this ever happened to you? What is your opinion of this situation?

Leah Leilani replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kimberly Reynolds

February 14, 2022 at 8:03 am

I have a disability and am elderly. It seems to be that we have trained people not to stare at people with disabilities so well, that when I’m in a wheelchair, I’m invisible to the average person! They walk into me, make no eye contact, say nothing to me, don’t smile or say hello…things done on days I’m able to stand and walk! I feel like I have a Harry Potter invisibility cloak on when seated in a wheelchair!

• Kimberly Reynolds

February 18, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Danielle, I was at a museum in a wheelchair. A five year old girl started talking with me since we were at the same level. Her Mother looked to find out who her daughter was talking to, saw me and the Mother quickly took her away. I’m sure the girl got the message that there is something bad about talking to someone in a wheelchair. It’s sad.

• Leah Leilani

February 18, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Kimberly, I too love your choice of analogies as a fellow Harry Potter fan! Although I’ve never experienced a situation like that with a child and their parent, I can only imagine how discouraging that was. I often find that children are much less judgmental than their parents. It is sad to me that because of stigmas such as the one that mother is teaching her daughter, that it is seen more of an acceptable and natural thing to be or to help those that are elderly and not so towards those that are disabled. Anyone can become disabled at any point in life.