Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Establishing and maintaining good relationships means shifting our focus from the “burden” mentality and instead showing compassion and gratitude for the person helping us. Hawken’s newest article “Overcoming the Idea of Being a Burden” delves into the “burden” mentality felt by those with disabilities and ways we can defeat this mindset.

Have you ever felt like a burden to your friends and family? Were you able to work through this problem and if so how?

Pete Barron
      Participant

Nobody likes to be a burden, but I remember in my past life of being a temporarily able bodied person, how easy it was to hold the door for someone or help them find where they were going. I remember how good it felt to take a little time to help someone out. I don’t want my hangup about being a “burden” to keep anybody from feeling that!

Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Pete, I still find myself battling against feeling like a burden but you’re right. There is beauty in helping someone else and both sides (able-bodied and the ones in need of help) should see that first. Like Hawkin said, helping a friend and asking a friend for help can actually improve relationships.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account