Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all staying safe out there.

So I wanted to ask you all about staying fit during the COVID-19 pandemic. I know it’s tough for a lot of us, especially when we can’t go to PT and regular appointments right now (I’m in this boat). Plus, binge-eating is tempting when you’re stuck at home (don’t look at me).

Still, there are options for at-home exercise. I’ve been having my caregiver help me do exercises in my chair, and I’ve just been getting outside in the yard everyday. A little fresh air goes a long way. There are also YouTube channels that focus on at-home exercises.

Do you have any tips for staying fit during isolation? Do you have any preferred exercise routines?

Ralph Yaniz
      Participant

I try to break it up. I might do a little stationary bike to get my legs going. Or sometimes I do small walking increments in my condo. Maybe walk 500 steps in some circles. Rest. Repeat. I also have some small dumbbells that I can do some lips with my shoulders and arms.

Pete Barron
      Participant

For me, swimming has been my go to exercize for 20 years. It has been the only thing I can do that actually helps with my muscular dystrophy. Everything tells me that low resistance, high repeats is what we’re after (which fits swimming to a “T”). Unfortunately now pools are all closed so I have to figure out replacements. I have a recumbent trike with 21 speeds, so if I contnually downshift to keep it in the lowest resisistance mode and stay on the flat, it gives me a good workout without getting me too sore. I’ve recently added in laps around my flat yard in a manual chair for arm and back strength. I can’t wait to get back in the pool though whenever that becomes available!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account