Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MD Staying Fit During Isolation

• Staying Fit During Isolation

Posted by Kevin Schaefer on April 15, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all staying safe out there.

So I wanted to ask you all about staying fit during the COVID-19 pandemic. I know it’s tough for a lot of us, especially when we can’t go to PT and regular appointments right now (I’m in this boat). Plus, binge-eating is tempting when you’re stuck at home (don’t look at me).

Still, there are options for at-home exercise. I’ve been having my caregiver help me do exercises in my chair, and I’ve just been getting outside in the yard everyday. A little fresh air goes a long way. There are also YouTube channels that focus on at-home exercises.

Do you have any tips for staying fit during isolation? Do you have any preferred exercise routines?

Pete Barron replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ralph Yaniz

April 16, 2020 at 7:16 am

I try to break it up. I might do a little stationary bike to get my legs going. Or sometimes I do small walking increments in my condo. Maybe walk 500 steps in some circles. Rest. Repeat. I also have some small dumbbells that I can do some lips with my shoulders and arms.

• Pete Barron

April 19, 2020 at 9:25 pm

For me, swimming has been my go to exercize for 20 years. It has been the only thing I can do that actually helps with my muscular dystrophy. Everything tells me that low resistance, high repeats is what we’re after (which fits swimming to a “T”). Unfortunately now pools are all closed so I have to figure out replacements. I have a recumbent trike with 21 speeds, so if I contnually downshift to keep it in the lowest resisistance mode and stay on the flat, it gives me a good workout without getting me too sore. I’ve recently added in laps around my flat yard in a manual chair for arm and back strength. I can’t wait to get back in the pool though whenever that becomes available!