Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Mobility Aids and Medical Equipment Supportive pillows for your neck pain

• Supportive pillows for your neck pain

Posted by Leah Leilani on April 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Over the years with Muscular Dystrophy my back and neck issues have gradually worsened. I find it extremely difficult to sit up right and wind up slouching. Sometimes my neck becomes so sore that it’s agony to have to wait the rest of the week to my chiropractor.

A couple years ago my physical therapist paid a visit to my house and advised that I buy a more supportive pillow. I currently own a memory foam pillow with a curve in it to help align my spine as I sleep. I certainly comes in handy when I’m in pain.

Do you experience soreness in your neck due to lack of muscle strength? What sorts of treatments and equipment have you tried to combat the pain? Do your neck issues give you headaches? Have you tried chiropractic or massage therapy?

Leah Leilani replied 4 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Licorice

April 30, 2019 at 1:40 pm

I have been on an online pillow quest recently, Leah. It has nearly stressed me out,  I have now spent 4 nights on this pillow, which sounds like yours:

https://www.snugglepedic.com/contour-pillow/. I’ve traded emails with the company, and get a very good feeling about their customer service.

As for headaches, they’ve been a terrible problem for me on and off for probably 30+ years. I can’t even put it into any sort of narrative right now, but any SPECIFIC questions are welcome, and I will do my best.

• Leah Leilani

April 30, 2019 at 1:49 pm

It sounds like you found a comfortable pillow Barbara! Congrats! I can be a long and frustrating quest for sure. I too am short (4 ft 8 inches) and now what it’s like to live in a world that’s doesn’t cater to your size.

I like the idea of a customized pillow where you can choose the filling but if you’ve already found the one that works then I suggest sticking with that one. Including links in your replies and posts is very helpful for other members.

• Licorice

May 6, 2019 at 7:50 pm

After driving my self crazy with too much advice from the internet and Facebook and my own anxiety-driven internet searching, I ordered two pillows from a local company. Mind you, except for Sleep Number, I didn’t try them in person; one huge focus in my “pillow quest” was the ability to return), I got good feelings from email exchanges with them, and took the plunge; I had to start somewhere!

I’ve slept on one, a “contour” style made with memory foam and options to reconfigure it somehow (haven’t done that yet) for 4 nights, and I’m liking it! I’m a small person (5’0”, 105j, so that might the reason that even the shorter side feel a tiny bit thick, but I’ve never slept on memory foam before. This one may be a keeper!

I laid my head on the other, standard type, yesterday for maybe half an hour. I knew quickly that this was not the pillow for me. The pillow arrived filled with shredded foam; the company will for free, add filler, change the filler material, for free. I’m not going to take them up on it, because I’m pretty convinced by now that I need a contour pillow’s neck support.

I’m happy to share the website, etc., if that is allowed here (I’m new here). Feel free to contact me on Facebook.