Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Taking Medications for MD and Other Conditions

• Pete Barron

September 26, 2022 at 1:49 pm

I don’t know about the body not meant to take medications. I take polyethylene glycol (Miralax) daily ever since my large intestine stopped functioning years ago due to my muscular dystrophy. This medication keeps me from needing surgery to connect my intestine to a bag, which is obviously much more invasive. We all often take pain relievers to feel and function better. Certainly there are things you have to watch out for like addiction and side effects, but taking medications seems a worthwhile trade-off to help us function more normally. The attitude that we are not meant to take medications seems very primitive!

• Leah Leilani

October 7, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Pete, my mom and I take take Miralax for the exact same reason (her GI track is worse than mine). I 100% agree that medications help us live better and longer with less pain and discomfort. It’s like saying our feet aren’t meant for shoes. We do what we have to live comfortably within reason. Some more than others.