• The challenge of shaving with MD

Posted by Leah Leilani on April 4, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Since my disease progressed a lot before high school and having to use my wheelchair more, shaving has become quite the challenge. Shaving my legs and armpits uses a lot of valuable energy so my mom eventually started shaving me. I’d lay down on the floor while she covered my legs in shaving lotion and shave off my leg and armpit hair.

Because my hair and skin weren’t being submerged in water and therefore softer, my skin began to get irritated. I started developing many ingrown hairs all along my legs. The ingrown hairs could also be caused by the many hours I spend sitting and laying down and by the constant friction of skinny jeans. I tried all sorts of shaving and post shaving products to get the irritation under control but nothing worked.

At times I am self conscious about my hairy legs but thankfully my leg hair is very thin and fine. I am also grateful to all those feminists out there that are actively trying to normalize body hair.

Does anyone help you to shave? Has anyone ever cut you while trying to shave you? Do you tend to get ingrown hair because of being in a wheelchair or having to lay down a lot? Do you use any products or have any tips to prevent ingrown hairs?

replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.