Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Parents and Caregivers What Do Disabled Children Do In School Emergencies?

• What Do Disabled Children Do In School Emergencies?

Posted by danielle-dani-liptak on May 14, 2019 at 4:48 pm

While attending college there was an emergency situation, or so it seemed at the time, that required the whole campus to evacuate. The professor grabbed her stuff and literally ran. The other students walked out and I had a manual wheelchair back then and was not very good at wheeling myself. It just so happened my only friend in the class was absent that day. No one helped. I had to ask for help from a young woman, who although she tried was not strong enough to wheel me up hill. If this had been a real emergency I don’t know exactly what would’ve happened. Here is an article about children with disabilities being left behind in school shooting responses.

With school emergencies, what do children with disabilities do? Do you know your schools evacuation plans? Have you talked to any staff or teachers about emergency situations and how your child would be evacuated?

danielle-dani-liptak replied 4 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.