• Meditation and mental health

Posted by leah-leilani on May 2, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I used to think that meditation was just some hippy mumbo jumbo that would have no benefits for me. That is, until I actually started meditating.

Our bodies produce a chemical called cortisole. Cortisole is a stress hormone and produces many harmful effects including inflammatory prompting chemicals. These effects can disrupt sleep, promote depression and anxiety and increase blood flow causing feelings of fatigue.

Researchers have found that meditation can lower stress and may improve stress related conditions. Studies have shown that people who meditate daily have decreased depression and anxiety as well.

Have you tried meditation? Do you use an app to meditate or are part of a guided meditation class? What form of meditation do you prefer or has been the most helpful for you? What benefits have you experienced from meditation?

leah-leilani replied 4 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • danielle-dani-liptak

May 21, 2019 at 11:42 am

What app do you use on your phone? I ask my Alexa to “play a meditation playlist” and try and use whatever comes up. Sometimes I can concentrate and other times I can’t. I have even just fallen asleep, which I guess is a kind of meditation.

• leah-leilani

May 22, 2019 at 1:26 pm

It’s a free app called Insight Timer. You can choose a guided meditation from hundreds of audio playlists or meditate on your own with a timer in the app. There’s also a community chat section to connect to other people using the app. Sort of like a support group.