Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Mental Health and Positivity Accused of faking/ milking disability

• Pete Barron

September 26, 2022 at 1:58 pm

Once when I stood up in a public space to reach something, some guy said “Nobody asked me, but it seems to me, you don’t need that fancy chair.” I have often felt that type of a remark from bi-standers. I said, “That’s why nobody asked you!” Let them walk a mile (or 10 steps) in my shoes and I bet they would want some way to get around and function easier too!

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

September 27, 2022 at 7:42 am

Wow, Pete, great response! I stood out of my wheelchair, and someone yelled, “it’s a miracle” luckily, I was with my friends, who ripped the guy a new one, lol.

• Larry

September 27, 2022 at 3:51 pm

I used to care what people thought about my disability and how when I’m in my power chair that I do seem pretty normal sitting there, not anymore. Those people that think I am faking are not people I want in my life anyway.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

September 30, 2022 at 2:36 pm

I agree! What people think of me is none of my business; now, if they approach and say something to me, I guess they made it my business! But I need a good response that hopefully resonates with them and makes them think twice before approaching and speaking on things they know nothing about!

• Karl Evans

September 28, 2022 at 1:10 pm

My lazy primary doctor refuses to test me for anything.  He says I do not look like I have any problems. That is the biggest problem with Samaritan/SS/UHC insurance, that the support and approval of the PCP is required to get any medical treatment. I am dying of LGMD, GSN, MSN, CMD and others, but the PCP just collects money for telling me it is all fake, put together by universities.  oldkarl

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

September 30, 2022 at 2:38 pm

That sounds illegal, but again I am sure doctors have a way to avoid such lawsuits. I hope you can find a way to make sure you get a diagnosis and peace of mind of finally knowing what type of MD you have and start working with that organization to get you into trials or funds to assist you.

• Leah Leilani

October 7, 2022 at 10:55 pm

Karl, that is the worst part about this situation and people’s opinions-when you get refused help. You didn’t go to the doctor’s for their opinion, you went there for medical help. For me, my illness is undetectable through normal bloodwork and tests. They have to look at the cellular level and even then might not find anything but I still do have a disability!