• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

February 19, 2020 at 6:18 pm

I don’t like that phrase. I usually say, “oh, I can walk in my house, so I’m not “bound” to it,” and they seem to get the hint through my tone.

• Pete Barron

February 21, 2020 at 5:05 pm

I always say: “This wheelchair is a great gift, not a curse! With it I can go almost anywhere, without it I would be “house bound.”

• Leah Leilani

February 24, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Dani, I’ve recently discovered the term “ambulatory wheelchair user” which I think describes our type of wheelchair use to a T. Using a wheelchair for long distances and a longer period of time while we can still use our legs.

• Leah Leilani

February 24, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Pete, this is a great method for teaching people about our so personal relationships with our mobility aids. We depend on them to give us back our quality of life.

• Philip

February 25, 2020 at 9:25 am

Though I can’t use my legs and have limited use of my hands and arms, I don’t like to be described as bound to my wheelchair.  If someone asks what is the correct way of describing me (not an invalid please!), I am Philip, I have some physical impairment and use a powered wheelchair to get about.

• Leah Leilani

February 26, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Philip, I hate it when people just assume something about people with disabilities instead of asking us first but correcting them is the only way to educate these types of people even if we have to bluntly interrupt them. Good for you for speaking up.