Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Have you ever been referred to as wheelchair bound? What is your reaction to this manner of describing people who use wheelchair’s on a daily basis?

I don’t like that phrase. I usually say, “oh, I can walk in my house, so I’m not “bound” to it,” and they seem to get the hint through my tone.

Pete Barron
      Participant

I always say: “This wheelchair is a great gift, not a curse! With it I can go almost anywhere, without it I would be “house bound.”

Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Dani, I’ve recently discovered the term “ambulatory wheelchair user” which I think describes our type of wheelchair use to a T. Using a wheelchair for long distances and a longer period of time while we can still use our legs.

Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Pete, this is a great method for teaching people about our so personal relationships with our mobility aids. We depend on them to give us back our quality of life.

Philip
      Participant

Though I can’t use my legs and have limited use of my hands and arms, I don’t like to be described as bound to my wheelchair.  If someone asks what is the correct way of describing me (not an invalid please!), I am Philip, I have some physical impairment and use a powered wheelchair to get about.

Leah Leilani
      Keymaster

Philip, I hate it when people just assume something about people with disabilities instead of asking us first but correcting them is the only way to educate these types of people even if we have to bluntly interrupt them. Good for you for speaking up.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Leah Leilani.
      • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Leah Leilani.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account