• Body image and confidence

Posted by leah-leilani on February 3, 2019 at 12:45 pm

•One day, my boyfriend and I were eating lunch in a restaurant. A group of girls nearby would burst out laughing every once in a while. My boyfriend came to the conclusion the maybe they were checking him out. He then turned to me and said that I must not notice when someone is checking me out because it always seems as though they’re looking at the “girl in the wheelchair”. I realized that he was totally right.

Do you ever feel like you’d be more attractive without your disease? Do you ever wondering if the opposite sex sees past your disability?

danielle-dani-liptak replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • danielle-dani-liptak

January 26, 2022 at 2:29 pm

I face a constant struggle from when I open my eyes to when I sleep—social media, diets, gyms, fitness culture, models, ableism, and everything we see and take in from an early age emphasizes high beauty standards. So when I started gaining weight because I could no longer run, I struggled with being bullied and wondering why I wasn’t “good enough.” Now that I am older, I have much respect for what my body has done and how much it continues to do for me. It is interesting because everyone struggles with body image issues, whether we even notice it. We need to try and speak more gently with ourselves and take what doctors, dieticians, the media, say about what the ideal body should be.