Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Calling the Police on Illegal Handicap Space Parking

• Jennifer Massey

July 3, 2019 at 8:27 am

No, I haven’t. When I had the handicapped placard only I had several instances of people questioning me about it. One time in a gas station parking lot an elderly gentleman yelled at me and my husband saying I was not handicapped. I still ambulate okay, but the less walking I have to do makes my life considerably easier. When I renewed my license plates last time I got the plates. No one has questioned me since then but I do get funny looks sometimes. The plates hold more credibility for people. For me personally I would not call the police for someone parking illegally. I don’t think it’s my place since so many disabilities are invisible on the outside. I know someone who really needs them and because her doctor’s office charges to do the paperwork she is unable to afford them. Sometimes she has to park in the handicapped spots anyway, without the placard or plates. I never know someone’s story. I have more important things to do with my time then to police who parks where! Ha!

• Leah Leilani

July 5, 2019 at 9:32 pm

I agree Jennifer. It’s so hard to discern someone’s disability by their looks. I, one time, saw a car parked in a handicapped parking space without a placard or disabled person license plate. It was a business car so I knew which establishment he worked at. I went into the store and told them that someone parked in the handicapped spot and a man came walking out with a cane. I just had to make sure.