Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Diagnosis​ ​Info​ ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions Do You Cook At Home or Go Out To Eat For The Holidays?

• terry

November 20, 2019 at 5:14 pm

My muscular dystrophy is Oculopharyngeal.  It affects my eyes and my throat.  Since I am having more of an issue swallowing my food I prefer to eat at home, for now. I have a really difficult time eating most things these days. Once my throat fills and I can’t get it to go down; I have to regurgitate it back up. It’s fair to say this is very embarrassing. The first time it ever happened to me I thought I could wash it down with drink, but when I couldn’t get the drink to go down I got very concerned. I rushed to the restroom as fast as I could as I had the drink coming out my nostrils. So when I have the FEES test I am hoping to have the throat surgery to allow me to swallow normally again.

• leah-leilani

November 20, 2019 at 7:42 pm

That sounds difficult to go through. Have you had to refrain from eating anything dry or crunchy for fear of choking? Is the FEES test wear they take a scan while you drink or eat something? What was the test result?