Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Advocacy Work Disability Representation in the Movie ‘Run’

• Disability Representation in the Movie ‘Run’

Posted by danielle-dani-liptak on May 4, 2022 at 1:18 pm

I watched the movie “Run” on Hulu. I am always curious when I see actors in wheelchairs in film, and to my pleasured surprise, the actress was disabled and used a wheelchair! The movie is about a young girl whose mother cared for her while she was sick. Or, at least, she was ill. I won’t ruin the movie for you, but it was excellent, and I believe Kiera Allen, the actress in the wheelchair, did a phenomenal job!

Do you care whether or not the person portraying the character is disabled? Have you been interested in acting but held back because you haven’t seen many people with disabilities in movies and shows? What sort of acting or theater have you partaken in, and was your character disabled or treated as a typical character?

leah-leilani replied 1 year, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • leah-leilani

May 4, 2022 at 3:32 pm

Unfortunately, I don’t have Hulu. There are so many subscription services out there, it’s hard to have them all. I am someone who doesn’t necessarily care if the actor portraying the PWD (Person with a disability) is actually disabled even though I think more PWD should be more welcomed into the film industry. I’m more so picky about whether the writing incorporates accurate representation. A lot of times, movie and shows include stereotypes, myths and stigmas that aren’t true when it comes to the subject of disability, only making the lives of actual PWD harder.