Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Mobility Aids and Medical Equipment Getting into people’s houses with a wheelchair

• Getting into people’s houses with a wheelchair

Posted by Leah Leilani on November 12, 2019 at 5:00 pm

The holidays are coming up and that means going to friends and relatives houses. Before getting a portable ramp, my friends family would try to lift my 350 pound wheelchair into their home every Thanksgiving. Thankfully many of them were wrestlers but it was still a struggle. Also, it scared me to put my only source of mobility in the hands of others.

Do you have a portable ramp? How have you gotten your wheelchair into relatives and friends houses in the past?

Ralph Yaniz replied 4 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Ralph Yaniz

January 28, 2020 at 2:06 pm

I have thought about getting into people’s homes often. I don’t use a wheelchair but I can no longer step up easily, even on relatively short steps. In fact, even street curbs are hard. I can easily fall. I avoid going to people’s homes. Even when I visit my son in Wisconsin we stay out of his house. My brother is doing Thanksgiving this year. At first I said I’m not going. Then we figured out that as long as there’s no snow I can go around the back and it’s step less. My sisters where we do Christmas is a very low step. Each year it gets harder and I know one year I’m going to fall. I wish homes were built differently but so many, even those few that don’t have steps, have a huge stoop into the house.