• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

March 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm

That is great news. It reminds me that I need to do a physical with my primary doctor. A blood draw, going over result etc. Medicare usual covers it all for me as well. I try and take advantage of the free things our health care system provides.

• Kimberly Reynolds

March 11, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Leah, I’m so happy for you that your Labwork came back so good! Any advice for someone with fatty liver who is still working on losing more weight to bring my numbers down? What was your “go to” foods?

Kim

• Leah Leilani

March 11, 2022 at 3:10 pm

Kimberly, thank you so much! I want to start off by saying that at the beginning of changing my diet wasn’t easy. It’s amazing the amount of fat that’s in food in today’s world. Since my mom is the one who makes my food, I really owe it all to her. We both recommend reducing your intake of red meat and if you still want to incorporate meat into foods then go with a lean meat like low fat beef. Portion size is also an important factor. Since my mom like to cook, she found a woman on YouTube, Amanda Lewis, who makes Weight Watchers recipes that are delicious and healthy. We’ve also substituted mayonnaise for mustard and all our salad dressings are low fat. And we almost always have chopped vegetables with a meal. Minimizing sugar intake helps too.

I hope these tips help. If you get overwhelmed please don’t hesitate to contact me again her on the forum. You can even private message me in my profile on here.

• Deb Robins

March 16, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Logistically, blood tests or rather an inability to collect blood from someone with advanced MD, become increasingly frustrating in my social media groups and became  interested to consult a number of NMD adults to find that my son and peers fitted the rule rather than the exception.  Speaking to pathology experts and patients for whom even ultrasound had failed, I was made aware that portacaths could be a solution without too much trouble in advanced DMD. I decided to advocate for routine ultrasound assisted blood collection and succeeded in obtaining some systemic assurances with the caveat that we will always need to advocate as patients.  Thus my latest tip sheet: https://create.piktochart.com/output/57979559-blood-collection-strategies-for-md

• Leah Leilani

March 23, 2022 at 3:59 pm

These tips are indeed valuable for many people with NMD. It was only a couple years ago that someone in the MD community told me that blood draws become more difficult because of muscle atrophy-something that never even dawned on me. I had a friend that had Stage 4 cancer and he didn’t have any good veins towards then end of his life except for the veins in his feet.