Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Diagnosis​ ​Info​ ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions Hospitals and Procedures: Dealing with Medical Staff

• Ralph Yaniz

May 2, 2019 at 7:57 am

I have gotten to the point when I have to tell  someone I have muscular dystrophy that I will repeat myself and even directly say, not MS, it’s MD.  With my form of dystrophy,  because it is a later in life onset of symptoms, many people,  even medical professionals, often are not aware web something like this exists. I’ve heard of primary care physicians even telling people that you can’t have muscular dystrophy  symptoms start later in life. It  can be a little frustrating but  I always feel good that someone became more knowledgeable

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

May 2, 2019 at 9:49 am

I agree and like that you see the positive side to explaining things like that to people. I need to remember to be more patient with people!

• Ralph Yaniz

May 2, 2019 at 9:52 am

I have realized in life that we tend to know very little about so many things. Especially things that may not affect us directly. I’m sure I’ve made those mistakes many times in situations where I’ve had no idea. We, in some ways, are the ambassadors to the world and I hope our great work leads to not only cures and treatments,  but to a better understanding of diversity!