Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Advocacy Work How can a neuromuscular disease impact mental health?

• How can a neuromuscular disease impact mental health?

Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on May 31, 2022 at 2:58 pm

Today is the end of Mental Health Awareness month. According to a 2018 neuromuscular healthcare partnerships survey, 75% of patients experience psychological symptoms. Being diagnosed and living with a neuromuscular disease affects many aspects of life. These factors can impact mental health:
    Medical/physical impacts
    • Specifics of the diagnosis
    • Chronic or progressive
    nature of the condition
    • Symptom management
    • Care needs along with the
    continuum.
    Psychological changes
    • Emotions
    • Coping
    • Self-image
    • Motivation
    • Thought patterns
    Psychosocial impacts
    • Dependency
    • Socialization
    • Finances
    • Access to care
    • Quality of life
    • a sense of purpose
    Cognitive impacts
    • Cognitive changes as
    an effect of the disease,
    including difficulty with
    communication or memory
    • Irritability
    • Personality changes
    • Excessive sleepiness
    How has your neuromuscular disease impacted your mental health? What steps have you taken to curve mental health issues related to MD? What would you suggest to younger people or those recently diagnosed with MD about what to do for their mental health?

Pete Barron replied 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Leah Leilani

June 22, 2022 at 9:14 pm

I would say mental health has a huge impact on MD, at least, in my experience. Just because you have something going on mentally, doesn’t mean it won’t affect you physically. I used to have horrible insomnia and could not get the rest my body needed until I was put on anti-anxiety medication. Mental health is just as important as physical health.

• Pete Barron

June 24, 2022 at 7:00 pm

I dislike drawing an imaginary line between “mental” and “physical” health. Our heads are part of our bodies, anything that effects your body effects your brain and visa-versa! When we are sad our bodies hurt and when our bodies hurt we are often sad. Especially with a “neuromuscular” disease, there is no line.