• Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on February 1, 2021 at 9:08 am

Do you have to watch what you spend? Do you find it difficult to save money and live paycheck to paycheck? Do you wish that people in your life understood it is not easy to be disabled and restricted by how much you earn?

Whenever I try to save, I spend that money on something either necessary or something that brings me joy. If I were actually to try and save money, I wouldn’t be able to spend time with friends or enjoy my life because I would be stuck in the house saving money, not living a life with joy.

My dad tries to teach me about saving money, but still, I find myself sad about something disability-related, and it feels good to shop. I have few pleasures in my life, and I can’t go over to a friend’s house and hang out anymore. We have to meet somewhere accessible and usually requires spending money. I need to find new pleasures besides activities that require spending money.

Tracy Myall replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Tracy Myall

February 3, 2021 at 7:16 am

I completely understand. I too have a hard time saving money. I’ve been on disability since 2009 and of course but a fixed income it makes things difficult. Especially when you have to pay for help to come in and do housework, cooking etc. I just can’t do the things I used to do so I spend most of my extra money on help. Fortunately both of the persons who help me have become good friends and social outlets to me as well. But I am 58 and worry about when I am 65 and lose my company disability and have to go on Social Security. I don’t know how I’m going to survive at that point. I think about it a lot, but I haven’t come up with any answers as of yet. I guess I have seven years to figure it out but at least I am thinking about it now trying to come up with some ideas.

• Tracy Myall

February 3, 2021 at 7:17 am

I do have some retirement savings from when I was working, but I just fear that it will not be enough when the time comes.