Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Mobility Aids and Medical Equipment Making Mobility Devices More Appealing

• Making Mobility Devices More Appealing

Posted by danielle-dani-liptak on October 13, 2022 at 11:35 am

Medical aids and mobility equipment do not have to be dull looking or ugly. Most people are turned off by disability because everything looks like it belongs in a hospital, not at a bar or club. I have added stickers and was thinking of some gold spikes. I have had many people discuss my stickers with me, they are actual conversation starters!

What have you done to your mobility devices to make them more appealing?

[caption id="attachment_18227" align="alignnone" width="285"]Image of the back of Dani's powerchair with stickers all over the back Image of the back of Dani’s powerchair with stickers all over the back[/caption]

danielle-dani-liptak replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jason-miller

October 15, 2022 at 8:33 am

I love all the stickers Dani! What a great idea to start conversations with you and get to know the personbehindthe stickers. My son Jacob uses a power chair and recently removed a number of the pieces and painted them red. It looks really nice and he’s always looking at ways to make it even better. It’s his car so to speak so why not customize!!

• leah-leilani

October 27, 2022 at 12:13 pm

Jason, it sounds like your son has some creativity! I love that he took the initiative to customize his chair. Wheelchairs can look quite plain on their own and adding some fun to them shows off our personality and character, which I think many think we as disabled people don’t have.

• danielle-dani-liptak

October 18, 2022 at 12:56 pm

I like that you compared it to customizing a car, it is our freedom chariot. It is a great way to show personality and be a conversation starter!

• danielle-dani-liptak

November 16, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Does anyone else have stickers or colored parts of their mobility device? When I used a can to walk around I tried to have it ombre colored!