Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Advocacy Work MD and Me: Kindness of Strangers and Evaluating Different Cities Accessibility

• Ralph Yaniz

October 2, 2019 at 9:44 am

I traveled in January to go to Belgium for a clinical study. Like the story above, it always takes some adaptation and creative thinking because things are different in different countries. Being in older cities on this trip and others I’ve done to Europe I know that getting into restaurants or other buildings sometimes means a big step up. Many times homes are like that also. I was staying with a family and they actually built a couple of smaller steps into the back door so I could get in more easily. I have also run into hotel rooms with very steep bathtubs and no showers and restaurants often have only small chairs. Of course, sometimes you run into that in the United States also. I think it goes to what I have said before, you need to investigate and plan and prepare and be creative! My column tomorrow will actually focus on travel and accessibility and give some good options and resources.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

October 3, 2019 at 11:48 am

I have fallen and needed help a few times while traveling. Twice while traveling in Mexico I fell while walking and once out of my wheelchair. I asked for help in Spanish and people came to my aide quickly. Even with a language barrier it is comforting to know that even in other countries there is generosity and compassion.