Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Mobility Aids and Medical Equipment Mobility Device Stops Working in Public

• Pete Barron

September 2, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Too many times to count! (Of my power chair dying in public.)
    I use my equipment hard, no apologies. I am in my chair from when I wake up until I go to sleep. I am active so I am often on the bus or in my van or rolling around downtown, and something is often breaking. Unfortunately these necessities are not reliable, even though we are forced to rely on them! By the time 5 years has gone by and I’m eligible for a new chair, my old chair is held together with duct tape and still not doing all it is supposed to do. If power chairs were cars, they would all be recalled!

• Ian Narita

September 3, 2022 at 11:08 pm

Couple of years ago I was on the way to the Doctor, when my chair quit.

Someone had not connected the charger properly and the batteries died. All I could do was get my son to disconnect the clutches (?). And for my son to push the chair back to the house. Rescheduled the Doctors appointment and went another day.

It’s why one of my sons usually goes with me. I don’t use the chair near as much as I’d like to. Not sure what else to say.