• Ralph Yaniz

March 7, 2020 at 10:04 am

I think the reality is that a guide dog needs to be able to access everywhere their own accesses. Fully. Completely. Always. How do we handle this? We need lawyers willing to work in this system with real power for those of us who need. Recently I spoke with a disabled lawyer who made promises and was ready to help with some battles and then disappeared. That’s crap. All of us need a network that is willing to takes cases like this with Uber to the top and make changes in society for all of us.

• Leah Leilani

March 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Ralph, I realize that maybe a rookie or small firm lawyer might be intimidated about going up against a company like Uber but you gotta start somewhere. I bet if enough people came forward with discrimination cases it could be made into a civil suit. I agree that something needs to happen to spark a change.

• Leah Leilani

March 9, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Ralph, I realize that maybe a rookie or small firm lawyer might be intimidated about going up against a company like Uber but you gotta start somewhere. I bet if enough people came forward with discrimination cases it could be made into a civil suit. I agree that something needs to happen to spark a change.

• Ralph Yaniz

March 9, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Leah, I agree with you and I don’t think we need to wait for more cases to come forward. We need lawyers who can start the process now and once it is moving forward we can advertise it and trust me more people will come out. And it’s not just Uber trust me.

• Pete Barron

March 10, 2020 at 10:00 am

I’m glad she posted a video, that will start to get the word out and cause public pressure (which no company wants). I do get rejected from some places and taxis because of my service dog here in Mexico. That is mostly because they have not ever seen a service dog or in some cases they are afraid of her. In the States, I have not had any problems. They ask what my dog does for me does for me, (which is all they can legally ask), and see that I really need her and that’s it. Unfortunately there is no legal standard for a service dog. You can buy the harness with the words off the internet. However, a seeing eye dog should be accepted anywhere. If the dog is well trained in public it shouldn’t matter. Once again we have to make a fuss to get noticed and to change things. I get tired of being the complainer, but otherwise we tend to become invisible and nobody realizes there’s a problem.

• Leah Leilani

March 12, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Pete, even though it can feel like complaining sometimes, if it has a good intention like to help others or ourselves is it still a complaint? I’m glad to hear you haven’t had any problems with people and businesses accepting your guide dog. I am appalled by how easy it is to claim a dog is a service dog what with service dog vests being sold everywhere. That’s is the main cause of this discrimination. And like Molly said, people that aren’t educated think that seeing eye dogs aren’t legit because they don’t wear a vest.