Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums COVID-19 and MD Omicron, are you worried?

• danielle-dani-liptak

January 10, 2022 at 2:32 pm

The Omicron variant spreads more quickly than the original virus that causes COVID-19. Here are three things you can do to help protect yourself and others:

Get the COVID-19 vaccine, if you haven’t already. Vaccines are the best tool to protect us from COVID-19. They slow the transmission of the virus and provide strong protection against severe illness and hospitalization.

Get the booster when you’re eligible. Everyone 18 years and older should get a booster shot two months after their Johnson & Johnson vaccine or five months after completing their primary COVID-19 vaccination series of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna. Adolescents and teens ages 12 to 17 should also get a booster of Pfizer-BioNTech 5 months after their primary series.

Finally, continue wearing a mask in indoor public places in areas of high or substantial community transmission and wash your hands. If it is difficult for you to physically clean your hands yourself, make sure to have hand sanitizer on you.

• leah-leilani

January 10, 2022 at 8:24 pm

My boyfriend’s grandfather got Omicron and so did a few friends of mine. It does worry me so I’m being as cautious as I can be. Wearing my face mask, wiping my wheelchair down with Clorox wipes when I get home from going out, limiting the amount of places I go. Some of my doctors have brought back Telehealth video appointments in order to keep their patients as safe as possible.

• louise-e-rowe

March 23, 2022 at 12:41 pm

Hey, actually, I am not afraid of Omicron. My family members got omicron. During that time, I was the only person there to take care of them. But I took all kinds of precautions during that time. At the same time, I use several disinfectants to thoroughly clean my home. Then I make sure that I use masks and sanitizers. In my opinion, if we follow proper precautions, there is no need to worry about anything.

• leah-leilani

March 23, 2022 at 3:40 pm

Wow, that’s quite something for you’re whole family to get it and you didn’t! I had a very contagious intestinal infection last year and with proper precautions my parents were able to avoid catching it too. Even now with the Covid case numbers being low, I’m very diligent about sanitizing things.

• louise-e-rowe

March 24, 2022 at 12:44 pm

You are absolutely right. Proper precautions have the ability to prevent contagious diseases. Your experience also proves that. When people realize this fact, we can avoid unnecessary fears and diseases.

• danielle-dani-liptak

March 29, 2022 at 7:53 am

I agree with this. Washing hands, staying home or wearing a mask when feeling sick, and generally being aware of surroundings and the cleanliness of things. Unfortunately, we live in such an individualistic society, and it comes down to every “man” for themselves, but the community is so vital in times of struggle. The pandemic proved that.

• mary-ognibene

March 30, 2022 at 9:33 am

I was worried, very careful and still got Covid from my husband. I did everything in my power not to get it, all the disinfecting, washing and mask wearing. I now think it would have been better if I had isolated.  I had a hard time keeping up with what was needed and trying to care for him, unsuccessfully. Unfortunately my husband lacked in his carefulness while sick.

We both are vaccinated and boosted. My booster was a full vaccine. My experience has been much worse then his, effecting my already compromised muscle weakness.

like I said, I should have isolated, maybe even in a hotel! Lol

• danielle-dani-liptak

April 4, 2022 at 2:38 pm

Since having Covid, have you noticed any long-term side effects?

• mary-ognibene

April 6, 2022 at 9:37 am

I’m about 2 weeks into it and today was the first day I felt nearly normal. I’m much weaker than pre-Covid however I didn’t move as much so now I have to regain what I had before. My stamina is very low. I used to be able to ‘push’ through to walk a few more steps, but I can’t do that now. My legs just give out. Today was the first day I actually had an appetite.

I think, I hope has this will pass, soon as two weeks is a very short period of time and considering how bad it was, this is very doable.

• kimberly-reynolds

April 1, 2022 at 8:10 pm

I’m keeping vigilant following the precautions for those who don’t want to get Covid. Got my shots, signing up for my second booster, socially distancing when I have to go out but staying in most of the time. No in person gatherings. I’m on zoom for my book club, Bible study classes, Church, and social groups! I wear an N95 mask if I go out to doctors or a store for pick-up. We socially isolated when our Daughter-in-law was exposed at work to someone with Covid. We stayed in separate parts of the house for 7 days. She never showed symptoms and tested negative. We wore masks in the hallways. She always comes home, showers and changes her clothes before interacting. We are staying vigilant. The country seems to have thrown caution to the wind. Not us!

• danielle-dani-liptak

April 4, 2022 at 2:37 pm

If you don’t mind sharing, I would be very interested in hearing how your 2nd booster goes!

• kimberly-reynolds

April 6, 2022 at 1:04 pm

My second booster was a Moderna, which is what I’ve gotten for all 4 of my Covid vaccines. I had more side effects than I had with my first booster. I ran a temperature of 99.9, lost my appetite, and felt achey 24 hours after getting the booster. I had a good nights sleep and my temperature is down and I’m feeling great today! So I had maybe 6 hours of not feeling well but rest made it all better!

• leah-leilani

April 22, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Kimberly, I just got my fourth Pfizer vaccine last week and I had all the side effects the following night. I was nauseous, had chills and a fever as well as severe body aches. I took some Tylenol and was able to go back to sleep. The next day, I just felt very tired and sleepy.