• Practicing Mindfulness

Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on August 4, 2021 at 3:10 pm

Have you heard of mindfulness? It can help develop a resilient mind, especially for those with chronic diseases or illnesses. For example, you can wake up feeling great and full of life one day, but you feel alone, insecure, and afraid the next morning. Training your mind is straightforward, but putting those practices into daily exercise and at the moment can be difficult. Most of what mindfulness entails is staying in the present moment and not going through life on auto-pilot. For example, with chronic pain, we are angry at our body for betraying us. This pain can cause us to create a narrative in our heads that makes us feel like failures or burdens. By resisting pain, whether mental or physical, we become a victim to it by using mindfulness, such as our awareness and attitudes, to combat the suffering.

Have you tried to practice mindfulness? What were some of your techniques?

Here is a site that has 1-minute mindfulness exercises. If your try some, let us know what you think!

Leah Leilani replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Leah Leilani

August 8, 2021 at 2:57 pm

I have done this through meditation before. It helped me tremendously to live in the present moment and center myself. I’m the kind of person that’s always thinking ten steps ahead and needs to be busy to be happy but learning to be content with the now and being still and silent was a wonderful thing to practice. I’ve been needing to get back into since I’ve felt a little overwhelmed and anxious lately.