• Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on June 9, 2021 at 6:58 am

I would like to wish our LGBTQIA+ community members a Happy Pride Month! Here is information about the United States history of pride month. Starting with the Stonewall Uprising in June 1969, Pride Month both commemorates and celebrates LGBTQ activism and culture through the years. First, President Bill Clinton declared June “Gay & Lesbian Pride Month” in 1999 and 2000. Then from 2009 to 2016, each year he was in office, President Barack Obama declared June LGBT Pride Month. Later, President Joe Biden declared June LGBTQ+ Pride Month in 2021. Throughout June, nationwide, there have traditionally been parades, protests, drag performances, live theater and memorials, and celebrations of life for community members who lost their lives to HIV/AIDS. It is part political activism, part celebration of all the LGBTQ community has achieved over the years.

I have participated in Pride events for many years. I love celebrating my bisexuality and celebrating the people who have fought to give me the rights and visibility I have today. For this Pride month, one goal is to try and bring more awareness to the LGBT+ community about accessibility and inclusion.

If you celebrate Pride this month, what are some things you enjoy doing? Is the place you live heavily involved in Pride festivities and celebrations? Do you support LGBT+ friendly businesses? Do you have any questions about Pride?

Leah Leilani replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Leah Leilani

June 9, 2021 at 4:33 pm

I love Pride month and what it stands for and the people it celebrates. I am proud to be an ally for my LGBTQ+ friends and for all others out there. I have been learning a lot recently about the history of Pride and the LGBTQIA community by listening to others share their stories and watching a documentary series on FOX about Pride through the ages. There’s a lot I don’t know but I want to know as much as possible so that I can properly help and advocate for the members of that community.