• Self Defense for People with Disabilities

Posted by Danielle "Dani" Liptak on March 16, 2022 at 2:02 pm

While anyone can be vulnerable to attack, risk levels can be elevated for those with physical limitations or disabilities. There are many self-defense methods available. From basic common-sense strategies and tactics to actual weapons and physical protection.

How do you protect yourself if you feel the need to?

Here are a few techniques and tips to consider:

Practicing preventative measures.
    Step one in staying safe is knowing how to avoid trouble in the first place. Keep your doors locked, don’t open the door to strangers, get a security system at home and avoid compromising situations where threats are more likely to occur. While dangerous situations can still arise, practicing prevention can at least minimize their likelihood.

Bringing a buddy.
    While you may not be able to always have someone with you when you leave the house, there’s no shame in asking a friend or family member to join you when you feel unsafe. Simply having another person with you can be a deterrent to would-be criminals. It’s also a great way to help yourself feel more comfortable wherever you go.

Taking a self-defense class.
    One of the best parts of self-defense skills is that anyone can benefit from them – regardless of any physical limitations. If you check out classes in your area, you may find adaptive self-defense classes specifically designed for people with physical limitations.

Carrying safety devices.
    Carrying personal safety devices – from stun guns for personal safety to other on-the-go personal safety devices – allows you to feel safe regardless of where you go or what happens. These safety devices provide a tangible way to protect yourself in case of attack or other threats. Because it’s not just people who can pose a threat, you may also want to consider protector dog sprays designed for use on attacking animals.

It’s not pleasant thinking about things like the above but being prepared for any situation can also be comforting.

Danielle "Dani" Liptak replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Leah Leilani

January 24, 2023 at 2:23 pm

My mom always carries her pepper spray with her wherever she goes and I have a whistle attached to my purse. Although these are not allowed everywhere in places such as Disneyland, they are very user friendly for people with disabilities. I’ve also seen cool weapons for women on Amazon.com like small knives concealed in lipstick containers. It would be so awesome to find a self-defense class catered for people with disabilities because we are more vulnerable than the average person. I’ve even considered carrying a stun gun with me.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

January 25, 2023 at 2:24 pm

Yes, I haven’t been able to find an adapted self defense class, but there are some Youtube videos for disabled people!