Muscular Dystrophy News Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​Muscular Dystrophy Self Love With an Ever-Changing, Disabled Body

• Self Love With an Ever-Changing, Disabled Body

Posted by Leah Leilani on January 17, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Do you struggle to love and appreciate your body every time it changes and progresses?

Ableism and the lack of positive representation of disabled bodies in the media can make it difficult to show ourselves self-love. It is especially hard when our bodies are constantly changing and forcing us to adapt to new limitations. But, just because those challenges exist, doesn’t mean it isn’t possible to change our perspective.

How do you show yourself love and compassion for your unique and beautiful body?

Danielle "Dani" Liptak replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Larry

January 18, 2022 at 8:14 pm

I don’t have trouble with body image, more with my abilities to do physical tasks.  I watch commercials and read about people and much of it is based on physical activity, which I am unable to do anymore.

I know it is important to stay positive but sometimes it is hard when I see my body failing more and more.

• Danielle "Dani" Liptak

January 21, 2022 at 11:10 am

I agree it is good to be positive, but also the negative reminds us of what we have, what we fight for, etc. Without rain, no rainbows, no pressure, no diamonds, and all those other sayings that people try and compare themselves. I want to be more resilient, but I know I can’t do things as I used to, and I know that it will get worse, but my biggest thing right now is staying present and appreciative of how far my body has taken me.